Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Travel Plans

A few days ago, my parents called me to tell me some huge news.  Trust me, it all came as quite a shock.  For my 30th birthday (less than 2 years away), they are giving me a certain amount of money to use for a trip for James and I.  Really?!?  How amazing!  Their reasoning behind this was that both me and my sister had expressed such dread about turning the big 3-0.  The trip was something that would make us look forward to it. This summer my sister gets to go first and try out this new decade of age. She and her hubby are planning a trip to Hawaii. 

I LOVE to travel and the idea of planning a trip excites me. My mom asked me where I thought I would like to go.  Honestly, I was so blown away I could only tell her that I didn't know because I needed to choose a continent first.  Did I want a sun/beach vacation or more historical or just plain romantic?  Here is a list of vacations James and I have been on together:  Moscow/St. Petersburg, Russia (Spring Break 2004); Columbia, South Carolina (2005; very pregnant with Malachi and drove through Hurricane Katrina...long story!); Gulf Shores, Alabama (2006, I was a few months pregnant with Isaiah);  NYC (2008, I was VERY pregnant with Samara); Estes Park, Colorado (2010, for James' 30th b-day).  In 2009, I went with some dear girlfriends on a 5-day Bahama cruise.

Once James and I almost booked a last minute trip to Paris, but the reality of the expense set in so we pushed that dream away. That's always been a place we thought we would want to experience.  But given this wonderful gift, I started thinking and talking to James about possibly experiencing something maybe a little less touristy of a place or a little less popular of a destination.  We tossed around a few ideas, but then it hit me.  Prague...Prague sounded like a beautiful, yet a historic place to visit.  The city still attracts tourists, but not quite the volume of other major European cities. Sounds like I'll be doing further research on this city!

While the trip is a long ways off and the destination may change, I am immensely looking forward to it. So where would you go if given the opportunity?    

1 comment:

  1. Ah, Prague! I have dreamt of that city as well. I believe that your research will further your interest in it. The world is yours to choose.
    That is the best part of a dream ~ it is so big! Later, the planning is adjusted by the factors of time and expense.
    In answer to your question, it would have to be Paris. I was a huge skeptic regarding Paris until we went. Now I want to live there. Always. So that is the power of Paris.

    ReplyDelete