Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

The KC Interview

I'm sorry that I didn't update you all last night regarding the interview.  We didn't get home until 8:00ish and we were just exhausted.  I wanted to write this with a new perspective that comes after you have rested.

On Wednesday afternoon, we left around 3:00ish.  We tried to get out of town, but James forgot to grab a few things so we had to make 2 trips back to the house before we officially left.  I drove while he read over a few more topics that could come up in the interview.  Isaiah told me earlier in the day that he was going to take a nap in the truck and so he kept his promise.  Samara also slept most of the way there.

My family is awesome.  My parents' furnace needs replaced and their wood-burning stove doesn't really heat their basement where we normally sleep.  They decided that we should stay in a near-by hotel for the night so we could enjoy hot-tubbing/swimming and eat at their continental breakfast the following morning.  On the way, my sister called and requested that the kiddos come to her house so the cousins could eat dinner and play together while James and I unpacked and enjoyed some time alone.  Then my parents called saying they had pesto chicken with provolone paninis and a bottle of wine waiting for pick-up at their house after we dropped the kiddos off. (Mom, I think those were in the ingredients in the yummy sandwiches!)  It was heavenly!  We had an amazing dinner, enjoyed the hot tub and then James went to get the kiddos while I starched his clothing.

The kiddos had never slept in a hotel before so they were in awe of the room.  Since it was late, I told them we could watch a movie while they were in bed.  I had the lofty goal of them falling asleep to it, but yeah, I was WRONG!  They enjoyed Stuart Little 2.

Samara wouldn't settle down and she was keeping all of the boys awake so she and I slept in a bed while all of them fit in the other bed.  Besides Malachi falling out of the bed once, it seemed like they slept great.  Samara finally fell asleep, but she is a restless sleeper so she woke me up every hour and James actually snored a few times so Mommy didn't sleep well, but that's ok.

We enjoyed a family breakfast and then wished James good luck.  My mom came up to the hotel to help me take the kiddos swimming.  The pool was WAY too cold so we got in the hot tub minus the jets.  We enjoyed some splish-splash time and then my sister picked us up and took us to my parents' house.  The kiddos enjoyed special time with their Grammie, Papa, Auntie Sara, and cousins Sofia and Stella.



In mid-afternoon, James came back from the interview.  It did not go as we had hoped.  One of the two interviewers spent the time berating him for his GPA from 10 years ago.  James said he made the split-second decision that he wasn't going to just take it sitting down so he became impassioned that he shouldn't be judged completely by a GPA from that long ago.  Since then, he has matured, recognized that if you want something bad enough then you must put forth the effort and he is willing to do that.  He just felt like the interview was a waste of time.

James has been researching this type of belittling tactic.  It is not uncommon for the interviewer to see how you respond to this type of criticism.  It's just hard to remain positive.  But why if his GPA was too low for acceptance did they waste the school's time, our time, money, and safety?  And why did KU say that academically he was ready?  It's so confusing!  But, at this time, we have done everything we can, and the rest is up to God leading the school with their decision.  Now starts the waiting game for the mailman to deliver the news.  I will probably become the crazy mailman stalker for the next 2 weeks.

Please just continue to pray for us. Of course, when that letter arrives, I will share with you all...

3 comments:

  1. Not sure what James was applying for, But I shall pray for your guys during this time of waiting. God Bless and have a great weekend......... Pastor Earl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pastor Earl. He is applying to med school. He's always had an interest in medicine and he went to Egypt 2 years ago with a missionary group to work on their computers at the hospital. He came back from the trip feeling called to become a doctor. It's been a long road, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was a special time together. At this point we don't know the outcome of the interview, what we do know is that all that could be done was done. As we leave it there, we all can enjoy the love and support of our loved ones. Just look at those children ... they are at rest. Taking it as it comes. Rest, my child. Don't mess with postal carriers ...

    ReplyDelete