Pages

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Girls-Only Weekend

Yesterday morning Samara and I made the trek up to James' hometown outside of Hays.  His sister's bridal and bachelorette parties were being held and of course, we wouldn't miss it.  We met Kristen and his older brother's girlfriend, Ashley, in Salina and carpooled the rest of the way.  Samara kept herself preoccupied by saying "Ash" (Ashley) and when Ashley turned around she would say, "Um, um" because she didn't have anything to say, but wanted Ashley to pay attention to her.  She did the same for Kristen, but would say "Ken" instead of Kristen. Occasionally, she would point out that there were trees or snow on the ground, but most times all she would say is "Um, um".

Kristen received wonderful gifts at the bridal shower...too bad I couldn't snag the waffle maker ;-)  Samara enjoyed being sneaky and eating way too many homemade mints.  But, fortunately, I was able to put her down for a late nap and she was out almost immediately.

While Samara relished being the only grandchild at the house, Ashley and I went out for the bachelorette party.  We ate some yummy Mexican food with a strawberry margarita.  Then we went to a friend of Kristen's house to open up gifts and play some games.  I had a horrible headache (probably from not drinking enough water earlier in the day) and there was freezing, dense fog.  Since it was already mid-night, Ashley and I decided that it would be best to go back to Dinkels'.  What should be a 20 minute drive almost took an hour because of the weather conditions. We were relieved to make it back safely.

After picking up my car in Salina this afternoon, we encountered horrific weather again.  The fog was incredibly thick and then once I turned on the 2-lane road for the remaining 30 miles, there was a major thunderstorm along with torrential rain.  I saw the ditches filling up with water and was concerned about flooding.  I called James to have him check the weather.  Fortunately, no flooding was expected.  But that didn't erase my fears.  It was coming down so hard that I could barely see the road, but with there not being a big shoulder on the side of the road, it was unsafe for me to pull over.  I drove slowly and went even slower when the semi-trucks drove passed me.  My knuckles were white from clutching onto the steering wheel.  Samara slept peacefully the whole time which was nice, but it's such an awesome responsibility to have the life of your child in your hands while encountering such a storm.  It was quite a relief to drive up to our house!

James was busy while we were gone.  He finished wiring the electrical into our dining room so the chandelier can now shine light!  Since the boys didn't get to go to Grandma and Grandpa's, this afternoon he treated them to "Old McDonald" as the boys call it.  They ate hamburger Happy Meals, drank Sprite, got a cool car (like they needed another one!) and played for over an hour at the PlayPlace.  They had a wonderful time.

In the span of the last 3 days, the remaining 2 pregnant friends gave birth.  Tomorrow I am preparing 2 different meals to take plus chocolate chip cookies for dessert.  Mondays can be a challenging day anyway so I'm praying the kiddos will play nicely and I have enough energy to get it all done!

To end this long post about our weekend, I leave you with a humorous story about Samara.  Tonight after we tucked her into bed, James and I went back downstairs.  He was working on the laptop and I was cutting coupons out at the desk.  Samara sneaked downstairs and we didn't realize it until we heard loud farts and then a soft "Cuse me".  What a girl =)

No comments:

Post a Comment