Pages

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

And So It Begins...

Today started our family's journey through the "school years."  We've had 5 1/2 years to prepare for this day, but nothing can truly prepare you for the broad range of emotions.  I'm thrilled for all the possibilities that await him, but sad that he is growing up way too quickly.  Here is a picture of the night we brought him home from the hospital...doesn't seem that long ago...
When I woke him up this morning, he immediately said, "I'm tired." Pretty sure this won't be the only time I hear those words uttered in the early morning hours.  But he quickly got up, ate, brushed his teeth, got dressed and anxiously waited for the rest of us to follow suit.  It was endearing to observe Isaiah.  He fussed over Malachi to make sure he had everything he needed.  He even laid out Malachi's new shoes for him.  Isaiah was just so excited for Malachi; not once did he complain that he didn't get to go to school.

The school is a little over a mile from our house so the 5 of us drove there.  Each kiddo got to take turns pushing the cross-walk button so that we could cross the street.  We stopped at the front door to take the traditional "first day" pictures.

Then we all walked Malachi to his classroom.  Mrs. O greeted us and we were able to get a picture of her with Malachi by his seat.

 When it was time to say good-bye, Samara whined and moaned that she wanted and needed "my Malachi".  She did not want to leave her buddy behind.  While I buckled her up in the car, she looked longingly at Malachi's empty booster seat and dramatically asked, "Why you kick Malachi out?"  Oh sister-friend you are too cute.

From time to time throughout the day, I teared up at the thought of our first born being at school.  But overall, I think I did ok.  I knew that he was in good hands and hoped he was applying all of the lessons we have tried to teach him regarding good choices, listening, and being a good friend.

We were all eager to pick him up from school.  Mrs. O brought all the students out and had them stand in line while she looked for each of their parents so that no little kiddo wandered away.  I was really pleased that they didn't just have all the students rush out at the same time.  When it was Malachi's turn to be dismissed, Isaiah grabbed him and gave him a hug and whispered something in his ear (I'm sure it had something to do with the game "Minecraft")  I asked Malachi how school was.  He replied, "Great" and that "everything" was his favorite.  He told us they had 3 recess times, they painted, sang songs, but they didn't learn how to read yet.  I told him that he would probably learn how to read around the time of his birthday.  So hopefully he won't expect it to happen so quickly.

In his backpack, he has a daily green folder that comes home with him.  For each day, there will be a color filled in so that we know how Malachi acted; they refer to it as a stoplight.  Green=he had a great day and listened well.  Yellow=he had some problems with listening.  Red=he had a very difficult day with listening and obeying.  Today, I am proud to report he had a Green Light!

Nightly we will have to record which books we read to him (it needs to be at least 15 minutes of reading a night).  James and I are both looking forward to the night where he will read to us!  We have to sign off that we read and return it in his daily green folder.  It's nice to be able to have daily communication with the teacher.

I expected him to come home exhausted, but for most of the night, he was pretty hyper.  I made a favorite meal of his: BBQ Chicken and Biscuit Bake.  He ate three servings and a peach.  (that was after a big lunch of a PB&honey sandwich, grapes, vanilla wafers, and chips).  Heaven help us if this "schooling" creates an even bigger appetite!!!

After dinner, it was shower time and then the kiddos and George and I huddled in the boys' room and did our evening reading.  We read the 2 new books Grammie and Papa mailed...Green Eggs and Ham and Fred and Ted's Road Trip.  Oh how he loved them =)

By 8:00pm, he was tucked in and I haven't heard a sound come out of their room.  I'm sure he's sleeping good tonight! 


2 comments:

  1. That would be my nephew...sleeveless on the first day = awesome.

    Uncle Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA, yes, there is no better shirt in Malachi's opinion!

    ReplyDelete