Each morning the gang unloads at Malachi's school and walks him to his class. I never mentioned to him that after awhile he could walk in by himself. I just thought I would do it as long as he would let me. Well...it didn't last long. This past weekend Malachi informed James and I that we can pull up to the school and he could walk in without us. I pleaded with him that I wanted to escort him just a little longer; I knew he could do it by himself, but that I enjoyed walking him in. He gave me 3 more days of doing it.
Well, my 3 days are up and this morning, I drove up and he unbuckled himself, opened the door and walked by himself. He met up with a friend from his class and they both ran to the front door and then he disappeared into the building. I was left to just drive away.
But in the afternoon, I still park the vehicle and Isaiah, Samara, and I walk up to get him. It's nice to chit chat with his teacher for a minute and still feel like I have a presence at school, too. When we got ready to leave today, I asked him what he did. He said that he "hung out with the guys". Uh, "the guys"? I dropped him off at Kindergarten not college, right?!? He also mentioned that he made a new friend and there's a girl in his class that isn't his "girlfriend", but a "girl who is a friend". Not too long ago, he would never make the distinction, but he is now of the mindset that having girlfriends or kissing is just gross. That's a good boy, I have this written down so in a few years we can come back to this point ;-)
Isaiah is already plotting that next year, when he's at school, I won't need to walk him in either. Not so fast there, kiddo! It's mandatory that I walk you in at least the first week...so there!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment