Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

A Successful Nap Time = A Happy Mommy

Since changing to a toddler bed almost a month ago, Samara has yet to take an afternoon nap.  It's been a daily dreaded battle.  With the boys, they would eventually fall asleep, but Samara's stubbornness prevents her from giving in.  I have definitely paid my dues for being a stubborn nap-taker when I was a little girl.

We've tried many different ways of approaching naps with Samara.  First, we pushed back nap time until later in the day. I've laid on the floor next to her bed.  She's laid in our bed.  We've let her read books in her bed in hopes that would get her to settle down.  I've tried rocking her before laying her down so she might get sleepy.  Nothing, I repeat, nothing has worked!  It doesn't bother her that she has red circles under her eyes from exhaustion.  When I walk in her room to put her back in her bed, she will shush me because her babies are sleeping.  Samara, I want MY baby sleeping!!!

Today, I had a new idea.  For her 2nd birthday, she was given a little tent that is already set up in her room and for Christmas, she received a sleeping bag.  I asked her if she wanted to sleep in her tent.  Of course, she was thrilled.  I placed a pillow inside along with 2 stuffed animals and her sleeping bag.  She looked so cozy in there.  For the next hour and a half, I kept listening to her door to hear her talking or playing, but it was completely silent.  I finally wanted to sneak a peek so I walked in and this is what I found:


She had moved all of her animals and blankets inside the tent and there wasn't enough room for her in there. I tried to sneak back out before she woke up, but she opened her eyes and immediately said, "Hi Honey!"

I don't know if nap times will now be continuously better, but I certainly enjoyed this little victory today!

2 comments:

  1. How beautiful and what a relief! She makes the third generation of girls in our family who did not want that imposed naptime. Congrats on today and the best to you, always.

    ReplyDelete