Pages

Sunday, January 30, 2011

How to Explain a Baby Shower to your Child

My group of friends has been richly blessed with 4 new babies due all in the month of February.  I am so excited to snuggle with all these newborns.  I sure do miss those times when the kiddos were just so content to be held and cuddled.

After church for the past 3 Sundays, I have spent the afternoon celebrating these newborns.  I love to see all the new gadgets that are out there and of course, who can not resist "oohing" and "aahing" over some adorable clothing!  Today, on the way home from church, I told the kiddos that Mommy needed to leave right when we got home because I had another baby shower to go to.  I didn't think anything much about my comment since it was beginning to become a Sunday ritual.

But, the term "baby shower" intrigued Malachi.  He asked if I would go to his baby shower when he was going to have a baby.  I told him that only girls can have babies in their bellies.  He replied ever so sweetly, "I know, but will you come over to my house when my wife has a baby?"  There were so many answers I wanted to say like:  a) you're forbidden to ever date a girl so therefore you're never getting married,  b) you're forbidden to ever date a girl so therefore you're never getting married, and c) you're forbidden to ever date a girl so therefore you're never getting married.  But instead, I simply said, "Yes, of course, I'll come."

Isaiah, on the other hand, took an entirely different approach to the topic.  He kept talking about a baby swimming in his tummy, tickling him (once again, I told him that only girls can have babies, but that didn't stop him from pretending).  Then, he thought that I was going to give a baby a shower. Makes sense to me!

I ended the conversation explaining that we "shower" someone with gifts...they get a lot of gifts because they are having a baby.  They seemed satisfied with that explanation.

Even though it will be nice to have Sunday afternoons free again, I'm really going to miss seeing all the cute baby items, having girlie conversations, and who can forget the cake and punch.  Hmm...maybe some more friends need to have more babies =)

3 comments:

  1. So cute! I love it that the baby was tickling I's tummy. Hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, james and i just looked at each other and smiled. i just LOVE the minds of those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For such a time as this . . . I am glad that you are living in the moment and soaking up the little goodies that being an attentive mommy brings. Bonus - having cake and punch with the girls!

    ReplyDelete