Yesterday was a busy day at the Dinkelberry house. First thing in the morning, the kiddos and I made a trip into Wichita for the boys to get measured for their tuxes. In March, they are going to be ring bearers in Kristen's wedding (James' little sister). Isaiah fondly calls the tux a "bear suit". I think it's short for ring bearer. They were sooo excited. On the way there, I had to prep them for the idea that they wouldn't be bringing the suit home right then and that we were just going to borrow the suit, not keep it. Malachi made the comment that he wished he was a girl so he could have a pretty dress to keep like Samara was getting. I expected that comment from Isaiah not Malachi. After all, pink is sometimes Isaiah's favorite color.
We made it to the store and it was an hour filled with, "Don't touch", "Stop running", and "Please sit down". Granted, there is nothing there for little kiddos to do, but to touch dresses/suits and run around. The boys did listen attentively when it was time for their fitting. Each was so proud to try on a suit jacket and Isaiah did not want to take it off. The tuxes are a black pin-stripe and their vest and tie will be buttercream.
While we were there, Samara tried on her flower girl dress and we ordered that, too. Unfortunately, the smallest size they had in the store was a 4. She tried a dress on and it was WAY too big. She didn't let that slow her down, though. She had a great time modeling her dress. Her dress is white with buttercream flowers and sash. Of course, I'll show pics of the wedding! There will be some A-dorable kiddos there =)
In the afternoon, I made Stuffed Jalapeños. Our couple's Sunday school class was having a belated Christmas party at our teachers' house. The main dish was going to be chili so we decided to bring the jalapeños. I've made them before and never encountered any issues. Everything was going smoothly. I had successfully sliced and took all the seeds out of 14 big jalapeños. While I was cleaning up the mess from the seeds, I must have touched under my nose and on my collarbone. All of a sudden, there was the most intense burning sensation at both of those spots. My skin was bright red. I tried putting a cold cloth on the areas, but found no relief. All I really wanted to do was stick my nose straight into the cream cheese mixture because it was a base so that should balance out the acid. I refrained myself, but for the next 20 or so minutes, I was utterly miserable. Once I put them in the oven, I rushed upstairs to get ready. Mind you, I had washed my hands, rewashed and repeated many times over by this point. I thought I should be good to go. I put my first contact in my eye. OH MY GRACIOUS!!!! Fire, burning, immediately red-eyed, looked like I had been crying nonstop for days. Because I didn't want to have half corrected vision, I went ahead and braced myself to put in the left contact. It hurt worse than the right eye and the contact immediately fell out. I decided that I had had enough. I would just go with one contact in because I could not fathom having any more burning sensations. Unfortunately, I had dry hands and my thumb and pointer finger burned all night long and into this morning. I'm thinking next time, I will invest in some gloves!
We had a wonderful time with all the couples there. Our stomachs hurt from laughing (or maybe from all the food we ate!). The girls beat the boys in "Battle of the Sexes". No need to gloat over the victory; it was no surprise that we were better ;) Kristen was nice enough to watch the kiddos and they enjoyed their time with her. Minus the seeds, it was an overall good day!
I am soooo sorry to hear about your burning experience; I also know about the power of the peppers. Poison control suggested immersing my hands in milk. It still burned for quite some time even as I kept soaking my hands in milk. Eventually it became bearable. I don't go near peppers and their seeds . . . even with gloves.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine that pain in an eye . . .