It's amazing to see the transformation from baby to toddler to little boy to just a boy. Malachi is no longer a little boy; he is a "youth". We go to the "youth" department for clothes, he wears "youth" size shoes. Where has the time gone? I know you hear that kiddos grow up quickly, but can it really be that fast? I don't remember life without him, but it doesn't seem like he's been with us for 5 years already.
Malachi Luke was our New Year's surprise. He continues to surprise us, though. His memory is remarkable. Already, he remembers events or what we said from a few years ago. Scary, huh? I have a good memory, but not quite to his level. The depth of his love for the younger kiddos is amazing. I don't remember a time that when he asked to do something, he didn't say "Can Isaiah and I". They are best friends and are pretty inseparable.
He no longer takes naps, but enjoys having "Quiet Time". He will play quietly by himself, color pictures, work on preschool, or watch some "Transformers" episodes. Since Malachi and Isaiah are so close in age (12 months, 17 days), he never really had a lot of "Mommy/Malachi time". We have been enjoying our one-on-one time.
He has reached quite a few developmental milestones lately. He is able to color inside the lines, recognize most of the alphabet, and count to 30 (misses a few of the teens, but we are working on it). He is able to start a movie on the computer (please don't be quite the computer nerd as your daddy ;) )
For meals and bedtime, he loves to say his own prayers. They consist of thanking God for what He has given us and then about how he "always listens to Mommy and Daddy and if he doesn't then he has a time out". It's hard not to chuckle because he repeats exactly what happens when he makes bad choices! He also will sit down with his guitar and make up beautiful worship songs.
Malachi has shown interest in cooking so he regularly helps out. He is such a good helper. Yesterday, he wanted to make my bed for me! He also tries to teach the younger kiddos about making good choices. His heart is so sweet and caring, and is continually developing into a well-mannered boy.
While I miss the baby/little boy phase, I'm excited to see him grow into the Godly, young man I'm sure he'll become. I love you!
So glad that we entered grandparenthood when this beautiful soul entered the world; we were smitten. He has such fervor and intelligence ~ a combination that thrills us. We jokingly refer to his pronouncements as "according to the book of Malachi". Though he is quite serious, it is his giggle that tickles my heart the most. And those eyes and that dear earnest face . . . Love, love, love him to bits.
ReplyDelete