Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

We Are Called...

For the past few weeks, my Monday night Bible study girls have been studying Beth Moore's Mercy Triumphs study on the book of James.  If you have never delved into that book of the Bible, hold onto your hearts because it has been one of the most convicting yet strangely hopeful books I've read and studied.  I could write many posts on it, but instead I would encourage you to dig in and study it for yourself.

Anyway, last night Beth Moore talked about how we, as Christians, need to mindful that we are not "of" the world (something I've heard time and time again).  But, she was also talking about being mindful of where we get our "high" in life...is it in clothes, food, etc?  She then said a phrase that will stay with me for quite some time.  "There is no high like the Most High."  Hmm...thought provoking. She also discussed how we, as Christians, can not become cynical

After Bible study was over, my shopping buddy and I stayed late and chatted with some of the other girls.  We then left to grab a few needed items at Walmart.  But my buddy passed by Walmart and headed to Dillon's.  I just thought that maybe she forgot she needed something at the grocery store before they closed at 11pm.  (at this time, it was 10:50pm). We got out of our cars and she said she thought we should either get a little tub of ice cream or a piece of cheesecake.  How could I say "no"?  We headed straight to the cheesecake and grabbed the package that had 2 pieces.  Then we checked out the ice cream aisle to see what they had (and compared calories between the desserts.)  After keeping our initial choice of cheesecake, we went to the register.  There was a man with two elementary school kids checking out (we would later find out he was their grandpa.)  I had my back to them, talking to my friend.  Suddenly, my friend was going up to the register to check out the man's total.  I hadn't noticed, but she had.  The man didn't have enough money to cover his grocery bill so he was putting things back. He paid the cashier and was gathering everything up to leave.  The cashier scanned our cheesecake and then my friend felt God prompting her to get outside of her comfort zone and reach out to this grandpa.

She ever so kindly asked if she could pay for the items he had to discard.  He looked bewildered and asked, "Why would you want to do that?"  She replied because God wants her to.  He then said, "Ok."  There were 3 Dillon's employees present and they looked as stunned as the grandpa.  The cashier rang up the additional items and she paid for them.  The grandpa said how much he appreciated her doing that and then left with his grandkids.  We walked away with our cheesecake and the manager was locking the front door when we walked past and she thanked my friend for doing that.  

We went to my car and ate our yummy cheesecake and discussed what had just happened.  Did it matter that the food he discarded wasn't the most nutritious food?  No.  Who were we to judge what he was buying; when God prompts you to obey, who are we to rationalize why we shouldn't obey?   The week before at Bible study, Beth Moore talked about an experience at the gas station where there was a dad with his kiddos who had to push their car up to the pump because they were completely out.  Beth felt God nudging her so she asked him if she could pay for his gas and was able to show God's love to them through that situation.  But what if we can't afford to financially help someone out?  She suggested that we at least acknowledge their situation; tell them that we would love to help them out if we could.  Do not ignore their circumstances.

I have been wrestling with how God wants to use me in my current stage of life.  Being a stay at home mom has quite a bit of flexibility.  How can I be used to minister to those outside of my family and friends?  We are called to be God's hands and feet.  We don't have to be thousands of miles away to serve.  It doesn't have to be anything elaborate, either.  It could be paying for the $0.59 soda belonging to the person behind you at QT. Shoveling your elderly neighbors sidewalk after it snows, etc.  I want to show my kiddos how we, no matter how big or small we are, can serve God.    

1 comment: