Well, the race is less than 2 weeks away. I haven't been able to run as frequently as I was hoping, but unless something totally unforeseen happens, I should be able to at least finish the race. I just got back from running 3 miles in 26 minutes. It's not the greatest time (a little over 8 minutes per mile), but considering that I haven't ran in years, I'll take it!
I discovered that our town has a bike/walking trail. It's located by the railroad tracks and golf course. Looking at the scenery definitely helps to pass the time. The first run I went by myself. I never felt unsafe, but I decided that it would probably be a better idea to bring George along. He could use the exercise and I could use his protective nature...just in case. I've never ran with a dog and it can be challenging because he wants to explore everything. To keep him on track, occasionally, or more often than not, I have to yank on his leash. I just think of it as an added bonus muscle work out.
It came as quite a surprise how quickly my body got in the groove of running again. I thought that I would probably make it a tenth of a mile and then want to pass out. My first run I went a little over a half-mile and then walked a mile and then ran another half. It felt like I could have gone further, but I didn't want to push myself on the first time out.
While I'm pleased with my progress, I want to continue to increase my distance and eventually, better my time. But all good things come to those who wait...or keep at it...or whatever saying would work best ;-)
Congratulations, Erin. I am happy with you and proud of you. I am glad that George is your sidekick; it is good to have a buddy. May you enjoy the race.
ReplyDelete