Pages

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Doll House

Last Saturday I went to a friend's garage sale while we had our first showing.  We had a wonderful time chatting and when I was getting ready to leave I spotted a Fisher Price doll house.  Samara has a princess castle, but not a doll house.  Each time she is at her cousins, Sofia and Stella, she is mesmerized by the huge doll house they have in their bedroom.  The doll house I found was not as tall, but I thought it would definitely get lots of use from Samara and it was a great deal.  Since this week has been a tad crazy with showings, a broker's Open House, and James' church softball games, I hadn't brought the doll house in for her to play with.

Today was her day, though.  After breakfast, she played with the house for over an hour.  I just observed her interacting with "Mama", "Daddy", and "Gurl" (as Samara pronounces it).  I then got on the floor and played with her.  Of course, Isaiah being Isaiah, needed to also play with us, too.  It's interesting to see the nurturing side of a girl play with dolls and the protecting side of a boy play with dolls.  These characteristics show themselves at such a young age.

Before James left for another softball game, Samara begged him to play dolls with her.  As was the case with Isaiah, he couldn't pretend like girls do.  He immediately had his doll sliding off the roof and doing all sorts of crazy things.  Which, of course, Samara HAD to mimic with her doll.  I sat back and just relished the sweet father/daughter moment. Before long, Samara came and asked me to join them.  I laid down on the floor in the middle of them and started to play.  The Little Mermaid doll was close to my face and Samara went for the doll and accidentally smacked my face with it.  Immediately after I said, "Ouch", she sweetly replied, "Daddy did it!"  James and I busted up laughing. Wow, she is picking up the blaming skills quickly!

I have a feeling that this doll house will bring with it oodles of precious, hilarious moments.  May her days of playing "pretend" be long and happy.

1 comment: