A few weeks ago James went to a dealership see what we could get out of the Honda. Because Honda keeps it's value extremely well, they offered us more than we were expecting. However, we didn't know what car we wanted to get so we didn't accept it. We thought about a mini-van, but it didn't get the kind of gas mileage as the Accord and since we drive that car to see family, we wanted something a little more economical. We considered getting another Ford Escape, but after James looked at one, he said that it was pretty small in the back and didn't want to see the kiddos so crammed back there. What to do, what to do?
The mechanic suggested we try to change the transmission fluid to see if that would help and so James did that a week or so ago. But soon it was obvious that it wasn't going to work. Monday James drove the car into Wichita and said it had major issues when he had to stop at lights. We decided that night that we would sell the car to the dealership and search for another car. It was our goal to keep the car budget limited to what we got out of the Accord and not to dip into our Emergency Fund unless absolutely necessary. We didn't want a car payment.
Wednesday afternoon James set out to find our new family vehicle. There were a few Pontiac Bonnevilles that were priced within our plan, the interior specs showed that it was roomier than the Accord, and they got excellent gas mileage. I was hopeful that one would work out for us. After looking at one, James texted me to say he thought the leg room was less than the Accord, but he was going to look at a nicer Bonneville at another dealer.
Around 6pmish, I got the call I was not prepared for. He said, "I found a Buick Park" and before he could say "Ave", I shouted, "NOOO!" No, no, no. Not a Grandpa Car; no way, no how. He asked that I hear him out. Ugh, ok. The car was an "Ultra" = "sporty" Grandpa car. Hmm...doubtful, but go ahead. The back seat had the same width as the Bonneville, but had more leg room. It was luxurious inside (duh, it was made for the geriatric clients!). It got the same mpg as the Pontiac, but was actually cheaper in price. The engine was super-charged and there many interesting features. Since it was so late, he couldn't take it to our mechanic to get checked out so he was going to put a small deposit down. I hurriedly read reviews and of course, it was loved by its owners and I couldn't find any major, common problems with the car. Dang!
![]() |
| Here is the "G" car. Enough Said. |
James then went to sell the Accord and by the time he was ready for us to drive to Wichita, the kiddos were already asleep. I carried them to the truck and snuggled them in with blankies in hopes they would fall back asleep especially Malachi since it was a school night. But they stayed awake. By the time we got back home, it was 11pmish.
Yesterday James took the day off and we were back in Wichita at 9am to look at the Buick and to take it to our mechanic. I was trying to be a sport about it. Isaiah heard me call it a "Grandpa" car so he decided to call it that, too. I changed the name to a "G" car.
When we arrived at the dealer, Samara was immediately drawn to an 80's Mustang that was purple with yellow "fire" on the sides. She couldn't understand why this "awesome" car wouldn't work for us. And then we got down to the business at hand. The Buick. We packed Isaiah and Samara in the back seat and yes, they did have room. Yes, the car was luxurious, but it didn't feel comfortable. It felt stiff. I drove it and thought there was a little shake when I was going 55mph and there was a buzzing noise coming out of vent. We pulled back into the dealer and I then sat in the Bonneville. Poor James; I started to cry because that car was "me". It was big enough for the family, had the leather and upgrades we were used to, but it was "sporty mom", not "Grandpa". I told James I felt lost in the Buick (it didn't help that it's my emotional time of the month, too!) He just looked at me bewildered because he didn't know what to say to console me. The Bonneville would require us to dip into our Emergency Fund. Something we wanted to try to avoid. The Buick had more room and was cheaper. I finally told him that he should do what he thought is right and I wouldn't get mad; I would get over it.
So he drove the Buick to our town while I followed him. When we were close to Walmart, he called and told me the car shook horribly when he reached 70mph and he was going to get tired balanced to see if that would help. Also, the stereo sounded terrible. I tried not to get my hopes up. Afterward, James took the car back on the highway and he thought the shaking was a little better, but wanted my opinion. I asked God to clear my mind from all the negativity I had towards the car. In town, it was a very smooth ride. I was trying very hard to be unbiased. Then I got out of town. The shaking was both in the steering wheel and the seat. I could imagine how nauseous I would be after a car trip to KC. I came back and told him my thoughts. We both agreed that it should go back to the dealer and we would keep on looking. I told him that if he didn't think the Pontiac was the right car for us, then we should wait until we found exactly what we wanted. Not to rush. He drove off for Wichita.
About 20 minutes later, James rushed into the house. Handed me a set of keys and told me to drive it. What?!? I was confused. He told me that he stopped at a local dealer to see what cars they had within our budget. They only had one car. A Pontiac Bonneville! James was able to talk them down a little and it was going to be the cheapest car we had found. Ahh, it was a beaut. It was a metallic gold. Not Grandpa-y. The inside was very basic, no leather, sunroof =(, but it did have all the "power" features and a good stereo! I immediately felt at home in it. I drove it and found nothing major wrong. There was a ticking sound when I turned corners, but our mechanic was going to check it all out so I was hopeful that it would be ok.
Since it was close to the time to pick Malachi up, James decided to go look at another Bonneville in Wichita that was "loaded" to see what their bottom dollar was and then return the Buick. I would pick him up after Malachi was released. After making our 3rd trip into Wichita in the span of 18 hours, we were dunzo with the Buick. YIPPEE!!! On the way back to our town, James said that the Pontiac felt more comfortable and he really hoped it would work out. I was glad that he was ok with not getting the Buick.
Our mechanic said that the car runs great. It needs the normal repairs you would expect like new spark plugs and the tires will need to be replaced. However, there was a coolant leak in the manifold and it would cost $800 to repair. Yikes! So James went to the dealer (who also has a repair shop) and was able to bargain down to where we only pay $250 for the repair. James' reasoning was that for the extra $800 we could go into Wichita and get a Bonneville that was fully loaded. The dealer said that he would also work with us on giving us a good deal on the other "maintenance" items needed on the car. So on Tuesday, the car will get the repairs made and we should be *hopefully* be good to go for a long time =)
| Welcome Home, Bonnie!!! |
*As a side note, James took the car to work this morning and I woke up to a completely flat tire on the truck. Praise God we had the 2nd car or else it would have been a very cold and long walk to the school!*

Bonnie is a sport, so are you, happy owner:D
ReplyDeleteCongrats to all for the newest member of your family. May Bonnie remain near and dear to your heart . . . until you need the "G" car.