Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

"Spy Vests", Dollhouses, Nerf Wars, and the Stomach Flu

And another Christmas season has come and gone.  It was a busy time, but was filled with precious and not so precious memories.  The afternoon of December 23rd, we made the trek up to KC so we could celebrate with my family.  Earlier in the week, Malachi and Samara had the nasty stomach bug that was going around.  It had been 5 days since they threw up so I thought we were in the clear.  Boy was I wrong.  Late Friday night it started.  Isaiah stayed up all night throwing up at my sister's house.  Around 6amish, he was so tired from the lack of sleep and from his ordeal that I had to hold him up over the toilet because he didn't have the strength.  I felt terrible for him.  I also felt bad because I didn't want my nieces to get sick (which they ended up sick the following week).

My parents had planned on taking everyone to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast so that the kiddos could pick out their own donuts and the mess could stay at the restaurant.  Instead, they brought the donuts and breakfast sandwiches to us.  We had a wonderful time with my parents, sister and family, as well as my grandparents and aunt and cousin.  My sister made craft kits for the kiddos.  They are so excited about all of the projects they will be able to make. They all received a sand/water table like my parents have at their house.  I'm excited about the sand castles they will make this spring/summer! My aunt and cousin gave each of us our own "tie" blankies.  They are super cozy and are perfect for the long car rides. The boys' loved their Backyard Safari vest that came with a bunch of the essential accessories.  Malachi called it his "Spy Vest".  Oh the fun they have already had with these vests!  My parents also gave them a portable DVD player which is awesome for the long car rides the kiddos make to see family.   It came along with The Incredibles movie which was on their "most wanted" list. My grandparents gave them money so they are excited to go on a shopping trip with just Mommy or Daddy to pick out whatever they would like (well, that fits in their budget!)

Towards the afternoon, I was feeling nauseous so we hurriedly packed up and headed home.  We were 20 minutes outside of our town when Isaiah got sick again.  All over the truck.  I was ever so happy to get home!

After tucking the kiddos in bed, James worked on Samara's dollhouse.  I love that timeless tradition of a dad putting together a dollhouse for his daughter.  Malachi woke us up at 7:30 and tried to wake up Isaiah and Samara, but they were enjoying their sleep.  He finally was successful and we all made it downstairs to see what they had. Below there's a video of their reaction.

We enjoyed a leisurely morning and then in the afternoon, we packed up to go to Salina to see some James' family.  After the annual Bingo game at his grandma's house, we made the almost 2 hour trip to James' hometown.  It was past 10pm when we got to my in-laws.  We tucked the kiddos in bed and decided to have the adults open their gifts.  The next morning it was the kiddos' turn to open up their gifts. The boys are now armed with 4 Nerf guns, 2 Light Sabers, bow and arrows,along with some games for their DS's (including the much desired Mario games!).  They also have matching SpongeBob PJ's and slippers. Since their birthdays are so close to Christmas, they also opened up birthday gifts.   

Samara is the proud owner of an Easy Bake oven.  She also received a trunk full of Fairy costumes, a jewelry box complete with some rings,  a Snow White dress, Princess PJ's with matching slippers and a new dollie.  They also received the Cars2 movie.

After all of the gifts were opened, the older boys (aka Daddy and the Uncles) started a Nerf War.  Our kiddos joined in and for probably about an hour it was an intense battle complete with ducking, hiding, rolling, and lots of laughter.  Later that afternoon, the boys tried out their bow and arrows outside.

My appetite was not what it normally is and later in the afternoon, I started having stomach issues.  We had our annual Wine and Cards night, but I couldn't really enjoy it because I was feeling so badly.  I was up most of the night and spent the next day sleeping and just laying around while still having stomach problems.  It ended up taking me the rest of the week to feel back to normal.  I don't remember being that sick in a long, long time and I hope it will be years before I have to go through that again!

Late Tuesday night James and I left to go back home.  The kiddos were staying some extra days with James' parents.  We enjoyed some time to ourselves and for New Year's Eve, we used our gift card to Olive Garden that we received from my sister and her hubby.  We are always excited to go out on date!

The kiddos got back last night and we are going to enjoy the few days that are left of Christmas break.  We are so richly blessed and thankful to have such a wonderful family that we go spend time with. 

Below are pictures and videos of some of our Christmas...

The KC Crew with Our Santa Hats


3 comments:

  1. We got the flu at our house too. Pretty much everyone got it, but I had it the worst. It lasted forever. I'm like you and can't remember the last time I was that sick! Praying neither one of us has another Christmas like that for a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! I'm so sorry you had it, too. Super nasty bug...so thankful for good health!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoyed the videos . . . You are so savvy ;) This Christmas was quite the combination of times to remember (Dad's brother book, kid's enthusiasm, great grandparents in on the fun) and times to forget.
    All in all, I thought it was a wonderful time of the year . . . So thankful that we could be together. Thank you for coming home for the holiday, sweetums.

    ReplyDelete