My body must feel that it is Summer time. I have had major cravings for some BBQ. When I say craving, I mean, "keep-you-up-at-night-with-your-mouth-watering" craving. I have never attempted to make BBQ because I've been blessed with my dad and brother-in-law, Matt, having the ability to make out-of- this-world BBQ. Since I didn't know when I would be able to partake of their cooking, I decided that I would attempt to make something BBQ-y to curb my craving.
Armed with my crock pot, I set out on my first adventure. I found a recipe online that received a 5/5 stars rating so I thought that might be a good start. Because it was a new recipe, I couldn't bring myself to spend so much money on a piece of brisket. Instead, I made it with boneless, skinless, chicken breasts which costs less than 1/2 of the price of the beef. (James and I have discovered that it has been probably close to a year since we have bought beef...we've been substituting beef with turkey or chicken. Now I'm a beef kind of girl but I can honestly say that I really haven't missed it.) There was a spice that I was out of and didn't feel like going back to the store so I just substituted.
The kiddos can be a little picky when it comes to new recipes, but they devoured the chicken and I have to say, I scarfed down my 2 sandwiches as well. I splurged a little and bought onion buns. I LOVE me some onion buns (I think I'm the only one in the house that does...yay, more for me!) Ahh, this craving has now been taken care. Maybe my next craving should be chocolate cheesecake ;-)
Slow Cooker BBQ Brisket (or chicken)
5 1/2 lb meat
1 3/4 C BBQ sauce (any kind)
2 T brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp onion powder (didn't have...used creole seasoning)
1/2 tsp dry mustard
Combine ingredients and coat meat with it. Marinate overnight. Place in crockpot and cook on low for 9-10 hours.
Enjoy!
WOW! That does sound yummy! I am going to have to try it when we get home! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteSure thing! Can't wait to see you and your kiddos!!!
ReplyDelete