If you've been a reader for awhile, then you know that James has been trying to get into med school. It's been a 3 year journey of pre-reqs, MCAT's, applications, interviews and waiting. Lots and lots of waiting. This "interview season" James had 3 interviews and was placed on 3 wait lists. But a few weeks ago James received an email from KU (one of the wait list schools). They were extending an invitation for James to apply to their Post - Baccalaureate medical program. Basically, he will take grad level classes for a year and if he doesn't flunk, then he is guaranteed a spot in next year's med school class. Only about 50 students who interviewed at KU and who didn't immediately get accepted (also met certain criteria) and had a strong essay/interview were given an invitation to apply. Then out of those 50 only 15 were given a spot. James was told he had a very good chance of acceptance into this program.
And so we waited a few weeks to hear the decision. Then yesterday around 4:30pm I received a text from James I had been praying for. "I'm IN!!" Those words have rocked our world! Everything in our life is going to change. And FAST. James' classes begin June 4th up in KC. Relocation. I have to find a job, we have to sell our home, buy a home, find a daycare, etc. But, I believe that God is in the details and He brought us to the here and now and He will not leave us nor forsake us.
Today I woke up and was overwhelmed at the daunting task that was ahead. Where to begin? I decided that I would apply to a job I saw listed last week. It's pretty much the same position that I had before I resigned to stay home with the kiddos. I loved the job; loved my co-workers.
At 8:30 this morning, I officially emailed my resume. At 9:15, the
hiring manager called me to screen me a little further for the
position. He said it would probably be next week before I would hear if I would get an interview. But, at 10:57, he called again to invite me for an official
interview!!!!!! The department I would work for is based mostly around
the Columbia, MO area (the manager lives in St. Louis), but it sounds like
this is a new position that is based in Kansas City. The interview is
THIS Thursday from 10:30-12:30. He will interview me first and then I will have a
peer interview with the rest of the team. I will leave for KC tomorrow
evening and then drive to Columbia on Thursday morning. I was just blown away about this prospect. I was not expecting to hear back from any job for at least a week or two. But the same day?!? It would be a huge weight off of my shoulders if this was "it".
Since I'll be up in KC, I will also be looking at a few prospective homes. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Our home will go on the market on Saturday and it's our prayer we will get an offer ASAP.
It will be a stressful time, but I am confident this is where we are supposed to be. I have cried and will continue to cry about those we will leave behind. I have smiled and will continue to smile about those we are moving to. Bittersweetness.
Oh Erin! Congrats to James and your family! I can't imagine how scared, amazed, stressed and hopeful you all feel! I will be praying for you as you go interview and especially for all of the "to do" things you have to get done! I can't wait to hear how it all goes!!
ReplyDeleteThank you, Charlee! You know a thing or two about relocation...at least mine is within driving distance ;-) I will keep you posted!!!
ReplyDeleteDo you remember the words to "in His Time"? It is a very calming song. Even the music seems like a lullaby. Might be of help. . . those old spiritual songs have helped many a troubled (read: stressed) soul. Feeling prayed for? It is there little darling.
ReplyDeleteNick and I are so excited that you will be closer to us!! Nick says when he is done with school we are moving to Overland Park area....or somewhere close to there that we can afford. haha Just remember we are only an hour away and if you ever need someone to watch the kiddos a day, we are here for ya! We could always meet in the middle somewhere. Gabe will be here June 20th so I know he will be excited to see his cousins!
ReplyDelete