Pages

Saturday, February 4, 2012

I Do Care

A few nights ago Malachi came into our bedroom long after he should have been asleep.  With a heavy heart, he told me there was a girl at school who will say bad words  (granted, I didn't ask what words they were because we are very strict about what they can say so the bad word may have been "stupid" or it could have been way worse.)  But what concerned him the most was that she told Malachi that her dad doesn't care if she says the bad words; he just doesn't care.  We talked about how sad that was and Malachi said that he was happy that James and I care.

This conversation has been nagging me ever since. Does this little girl have someone in her life who really does care about her?  Does her dad realize that his daughter has this view of him?  Why do some parents not take their role seriously?  Do they think it's an option to be involved in their child's life? It's an option to raise these precious ones correctly?  These are little humans who are desperately impressionable. What a reality check that at the age of 5 or 6, a child can tell whether or not a parent cares enough about them to teach them morals, values and discipline. And moreover, they are happy to have their parents care enough to teach them right from wrong.

Yes, it is exhausting disciplining kiddos; it is simply exhausting raising them.  You have to die to yourself and think of what's best for them.  But it's such a natural transition, though, too.  When Malachi was first born, all I could think about was his needs, what I could do for him.  Eventually, I had to remember that I had needs, too, that needed taken care of.  But my first thought was about him.  How do some parents not think about their kiddos' needs above their own? 

With all of these thoughts, I then remembered going to Walmart last week just to grab a loaf of bread.  I encountered a mother with 2 small girls down the aisle.  I couldn't tell what the little curly-haired blond girl was saying, but suddenly the mom yelled at her to "shut up" and stop talking so *curse word* much.  The little girl was crushed and told her mom that she wasn't being nice.  I wanted to scoop that little girl up and hug her and tell her that Jesus loves her.  She needed someone to love on her.  Now, I am not the perfect "Walmart" mommy, but this just encouraged me to be that much more understanding and loving of a mommy. What did that teach that precious girl? 

So for the record Malachi, Isaiah and Samara.  I DO CARE.  I do care that you are raised knowing Jesus loves you.  I do care that you are hugged and loved on daily.  I do care that you learn right from wrong.  I do care that you are praised for your good choices and disciplined for your bad choices.  I do care that you eat healthy, have clean clothes on your back and have a good home to come home to.  I do care so incredibly much and I hope that you never have to question the depths of how much I care.   I do care because I love you.  It's that simple.        

No comments:

Post a Comment