Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Nostalgic

So last weekend was my 10 year high school reunion.  It doesn't seem like I should be this old yet it seems like another lifetime ago that I walked down the halls of Sumner Academy of Arts and Science.  I loved high school.  I cherished the moments because I knew that it was a special time in life and before long we would be adults in the real world.  Call me nerdy, but I loved learning.  I wanted to do my absolute best. 

I would get to school early so I could either study a little more for a test or to socialize with my friends before classes began.  While I had my "go to" group of friends, I was truly friends with pretty much everyone in my class.  There isn't a single person I can remember who I disliked. 

I was involved in activities that pushed me to be a more well-rounded person.  I ran track and cross-country, was in debate and choir, earned a spot in the NHS 10th-12th grade and was an officer my Senior year. 

There are days that I wish I could go back to the simplicity of life that was high school.  Don't get me wrong, I love my life now; it's just a little sad to think that those days will never come around again.

So needless to say, I was happy to hang out with my former peers.  Friday afternoon I drove up to KC and met the gang at a lounge in the Power and Light District.  My favorite high school teacher and his wife were there.  He taught history, but it wasn't just a lecture. He brought artifacts, showed pictures and really made the stories come alive.  We ate appetizers while catching up.

Afterward, the group walked down to the Lucky Strike bowling alley.  I am a terrible bowler, but I was in good company!  The next afternoon there was a family lunch at a community center followed by the main event that night.  The reunion committee rented out a nightclub from 8pm-11pm.  We ate dinner, drank a special "blue Sabre" drink, and jammed to some old school music.  It was nice to see everyone dressed up and having a good time.  I rode with a girl I had known since kindergarten.  A little after 11pm, we decided to go back to her apartment and we talked for a few hours.  The next morning I skipped out on the breakfast because that afternoon I was heading to church camp to be the nurse (I will dedicate a post to that experience!) 

Isn't it amazing how 10 years can bring about such dramatic life changes?  I am  married, graduated with my Bachelor's in Nursing, have 3 kiddos.  It's kind of scary to think about the changes the next 10 years will bring! 

No comments:

Post a Comment